Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Disclosure

I have found that it is often much easier and safer to think about our convictions than speak them out loud. The moment you speak your thoughts, you risk delivering them with less eloquence than you would have hoped, or worse, in the wrong context. You allow them to float in the air, vulnerable to the deconstructing analysis of others. If your statement happens to be particularly profound or careful, suddenly it informs your receivers that you have devoted a great deal of time to undisturbed thought, and that knowledge is dangerous in its intimacy.

But sometimes, what we have to say is just too bleak for words. Very few people want to hear the honest truth from their acquaintances, regardless of context. The pause that follows such stark sentiments is not awkward, for a youth half way through a growth spurt may be described as awkward. The silence that fills the conversation is the subconscious agitation of withdrawn waves before a tsunami. The explicit accusations and disagreement stirred by this one observation are muted but continue to rage in the minds of the participants, though if you must, you may endeavor to see their contempt shining through their eyes.

The occasional detached observer is not so occasional. In fact, we are frequently detached from the group or category we make a show of being engaged in. To make your thoughts known from such a harsh, distant point of view is altogether disrespectful, whereas bleakness expressed in public is merely unrespectable, though I find both refreshingly distasteful. A mind that has grown distant from its circle of acquaintances is as dangerous as, like I said before, a mind made known to its acquaintances. One begins to see a loss of texture and shading in their surroundings, the apparent vapidity of their social investments growing into a thin, hard layer over their sight.

And then there are the instants of acute hilarity in which an observer must make the quick decision whether to save their dignity or exacerbate the spiraling course of shrieks (I dare not call that laughter.) And if you live life within the embrace of individuals who have a more fundamental understanding of you than you are comfortable admitting, the context is never wrong.

7 comments:

  1. though im still slightly unsure what the subject of this post is, you're really good at writing eloquently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your detached and amused perspective towards the social scene. Although your writing seems esoteric at first, it's a flowing read the second time around.

    The attitude you project onto the detached observer is thought provoking. I want to point out that we are all detached observers in the sense that no one can truly empathize with their peers. Although there may be a sense of belonging, there is no absolute cloning of beliefs and words among friends. There needs to be detachment in order to ground the entire social circle into reality.

    Anyway I will be following this blog like a devout with religion, since I just *love* the title.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your writing style, it shows you as an intelligent and particularly eloquent individual. However this post seems to lack a profound point which is fine, however it does not match your writing style. I do look forward to your future posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh I wish I thought of a title that cool :)
    I love the line "The moment you speak your thoughts, you risk delivering them with less eloquence than you would have hoped, or worse, in the wrong context."
    I can connect with this because this happens to me a million times a day. nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Attractive Man,

    I like your point about the post not matching my usual writing style (although how you know that I guess I may never know.) Interestingly, I have found that my writing voice changes based on the time/mood/topic. Hmmm...

    And Winnie, I *love* the title of this blog too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amrutha! (I mean whoever writes this blog) First off I really like the background, it reminds me of a National Geographic spread.

    Secondly, this post is like the opposite of how casual conversations (with you, not that I know you or anything) go and I like seeing that side too. Although at times I have to admit that you sound a little James Joyce/condescending/I'm stuck in my head, but we all have our moments...

    good job :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the title of your blog, as well, and it's design. This is a great post and very elegantly written, but I think it would be even better if it were a bit more concrete. I'm not quite sure exactly what kind of utterance or situation you're referring to, and if I knew, I think I'd get more out of your post.

    ReplyDelete